Melanie Reyes is Board Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in Oil, Gas and Mineral Law. She joined Flowers Davis in September, 2004 and focuses in the areas of oil and gas title law, trademark law, and appellate law. Melanie primarily represents national and international petroleum companies in rendering drilling and division order title opinions. She has further handled numerous oil and gas-related appeals. Melanie also devotes some of her practice to working with small business owners in trademarking their brands.
After graduating in the top 10% of her law school class, Melanie started her legal career working as a Briefing Attorney to the Honorable Justices James Baker and Michael H. Schneider of the Texas Supreme Court. She then worked for the Dallas firm Thompson & Knight LLP, where she practiced in the Litigation department, focusing in the areas of oil and gas, antitrust, appellate, and intellectual property law.
Outside of work, Melanie enjoys music, football, poker, and spending time with family and friends.
State Bar of Texas, 2003
U. S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Oil, Gas and Mineral Law
- Cost-Free Royalties: Where Valuation Begins and Post-Production Cost Deductions End-paper
- Horizontal Wells Crossing Unit Lines: from Permitting to Division of Royalties-paper
- Horizontal Wells Crossing Unit Lines: From Permitting to Division of Royalties
- Surface Site Issues with Horizontal Drilling
- Mineral or Royalty Interest? Fixed or Floating?
- We Have to Drill This Well Somewhere – A Survey of Surface Issues Across the Nation
- Negotiating Leases and Surface Use Agreements on Behalf of Your Landowner Client
- Conveyance and Reservations of Mineral and Royalty Interests
- Avoiding the Unintended Consequence When Drafting Mineral Reservations
- The Proof is in the Public Record…or is it? Navigating Evidentiary Issues Related to Texas Railroad Commission Documents
- Surface Use by Mineral Owners: The Title Insurance Solution
- Pitfalls in Title Examination: The Intricate Relationship Between Real Property Rights and Ownership
- Minerals: Examination and Coverage Issues
- Exercising the Power of Eminent Domain
- Protecting and Defending Your Mineral Title: Timely Recording of Documents, Pursuing Curative, and Surviving Title Challenges
University of Tulsa College of Law, Juris Doctorate, 2002
Oklahoma State University/Langston, Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, 1999
Honors & Awards
American Jurisprudence Award, Legal Writing and Research
American Jurisprudence Award Civil Procedure II
American Jurisprudence Award, International Business Transactions
American Jurisprudence Award, Interviewing, Counseling, and Negotiating
Energy Section of the Texas State Bar
Appellate Section of the Texas State Bar
Texas Real Estate Commission MCE Instructor